Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Grocery Cart Challenge

So a long time ago I started this then well I fell off the blogging world, but I have decided to start this back up again! I always enjoyed every Friday doing The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap. I got several good ones when I did it the last time so I am going to give it a try again. Gayle Bryant does amazing job with her blog http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/. Go Check her out her blog is all about feeding a family for $60.00 a week. A real challenge! She shows lots of tricks and has a lot of homemade recipes for cleaning supplies and many other things! So needless to say every Friday I am going to try and post a recipe as part of the recipe swap.



Today my recipe is going to be from "The Petit Appetit Cookbook" by Lisa Barnes. Yes this is a recipe out of "The Independents" section but it can easily be a healthy side dish to any adult meal, especially grilled meats, and is very easy to make! Tyler loves them! Great way to work vegetables into his meal!




Out of the Garden Pancakes




1 cup organic broccoli or broccoli florets


12 organic asparagus spears ( I left these out)


1 cup (6 ounces) sliced organic brown mushrooms


1/4 cup chopped organic onion


1 large garlic clove, minced


1/4 cup expeller pressed canola oil


2/3 cup organic whole wheat flour (I used all purpose flour)


1 tbsp fresh dill weed


1/8 tsp sea salt


1 large cage-free, organic egg


1/4 cup organic milk or rice milk for those under one year


1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional) ( I used it)




Place broccoli and asparagus in a steamer basket set in a pot filled with about 1 to 2 inches of lightly boiling water. Do not let water touch vegetables. Cover and steam vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender.




Put broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, onion, garlic in a food processor and pulse on and off to chop or chop by hand. Be careful not to puree. Transfer chopped ingredients into a large bowl and stir in oil, flour, dill, and salt. Add the egg and milk and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.




Heat a large nonstick skillet (I used my griddle) over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Drop batter by 1/4 cups into the skillet and cook until firm on bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the pancakes with a spatula and sprinkle cooked side with cheddar cheese, if desired. Cook remaining sides until golden, about 1 minute.




Hope you enjoy these as much as we did! Tyler LOVED them and I really liked them as well. It didn't take long and easy to tear into little pieces that he could pick up and eat by hisself!




Photo courtesy of http://www.petitappetit.com/

No comments: