Grilled Tomato Soup and Cheddar Sandwiches
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-in.-thick rounds
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 1/2-in.-thick slices country bread
- 8 oz extra-sharp Cheddar, sliced
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes, stems removed, halved crosswise
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Heat grill to medium. Brush the onion with 1 Tbsp of the oil. Using 1 Tbsp of the oil, brush one side of each slice of bread. Form sandwiches with the bread (oiled side out) and the cheese.
- Grill the onion and tomatoes until tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Grill sandwiches, covered, until bread is toasted and cheese has melted, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer to a platter.
- In a food processor, purée the onion, tomatoes, vinegar, remaining 2 Tbsp oil, 3⁄4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Serve with the sandwiches.
Recipe from Woman's Day